228 Montague Street - Parr Division
Built circa 1874, The Chase House is a wooden, two-storey, Greek Revival residence with a front-facing gable-end plan and off-centred entranceway. It is located on the northwest corner of Montague and Frederick streets in St. Andrews. The Chase House is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with Leonard Chase.
The Chase House is recognized for being a good example of Greek Revival residential architecture. The style is characterized by large eave returns, entranceway portico and large pilaster corner boards. The prominent gable facing the principle approach to the building exhibits an off-centre entry and demonstrates the moderate pitch of the roof. The wide pilaster corner boards and large eaves with paired brackets, an Italianate influence, give this property an outstanding character.
The Chase House is also recognized for its association with Leonard Chase, for whom this residence was built circa 1874. Mr. Chase was engaged in farming in early life and did well, living a life of comparable ease. For many years, Mr. Chase was a St. Andrews constable and he assisted in many important arrests. Upon his death, it was stated that for 50 years no court was ever opened in the county courthouse, one block from this home, at which Mr. Chase was not in attendance as an officer. From 1883 until his death in 1910 he held the position of deputy sheriff. Mr. Chase left the property to his daughter, Annie Laura Chase, who remained here until her death in 1951. The property remained in the Chase family until 1965.
The character-defining elements of the Chase Residence include:
- two-storey gable-end plan with off-centre entry;
- moderately-pitched gable roof;
- gable eaves decorated with paired brackets;
- large gable eave returns supported by paired brackets;
- wide pilaster corner boards;
- narrow wood clapboard siding;
- simple flat window entablatures;
- portico with paired wooden doors with glass panels and sidelights;
- recessed panels in lower section of doors and sidelights;
- large entablature with spacious frieze above the entry;
- rectangular 6/6 wood framed windows.
Architectural Style: Greek Revival
Source: Charlotte County Archives, Old Gaol - St. Andrews Historic Places File, "Chase Residence"